Thursday, July 22, 2010

Reproductive Choice

I have heard the opinion of many people that poor women are irresponsible for bringing children into the world. Many of the people who held these opinions were generally good, caring, and on other topics progressive folk. The myth that "welfare mothers" keep having more children in order to receive extra benefits is still prevalent, and it can be impossible to convince believers of its falsity. But there should be no one who makes the decision for a woman, on whether or not she can have children. Who is anyone to judge whether a woman brings a child into this world? Unfortunately, that argument only works if the equal value for all life is held as an inherent value.

Many of the people who I have known that were against poor women having children, were paradoxically also against them receiving abortions. Additionally, they have generally been against, or resistant towards, federal funding for public assistance. However, public family planning services are responsible for preventing a %47 increase in unwanted pregnancies, and a %50 increase in abortion rate*. These statistics show the economic benefits gained by supplying access to birth control for those in poverty. Of course the morality of the situation should out-way the financial aspect, as all women should be able to control their reproduction. Without funding for other means of controlling reproduction, many poor women opt for sterilization which is covered by the government, and that should not be the most accessible option. There are many things to consider when deciding to have a child, but society's and the government's opinions should be one of them.


*http://www.guttmacher.org/media/nr/2010/05/17/index.html

2 comments:

Sami Graves said...

I agree, who is to judge weather a woman wants to bring a child in this world. Regardless of if she is poor or not. Although I don’t think she should have a baby just to get money. She should have a child because she is ready and willing to give up anything for the baby. She should do it out of love and not greed.

Kathryn Ivey said...

I agree with both of you! No one should be able to control what someone does with their body but themselves. It should'nt even be anyone else's buisness but the womans. I hate how protesters are allowed to be outside of parenthood buildings telling women how they're making a mistake, especially because they don't even know if the woman is going in to get an abortion. However, I don't think it's fair to have a child to recieve more money or benefits.