Friday, July 23, 2010

Feminism's Not Dead


Many have theorized that feminism is dead and no longer needed. I'm here to say that it is most definitely not dead and that it is still greatly needed. Today's feminism focuses on gender and sexual empowerment and equality and environmental justice for all. Women may have gotten the right to vote and to participate fully (for the most part) in the public sector, but we still live in a society where power relationships are key. Viewing the world as a collective group that deserves the same access to opportunities and justice, is what feminism is about to me.

The face of feminism has changed as well. Young feminists are embracing their femininity and drawing power from their sexuality. Although some conservative feminists might find fault in this, there is nothing wrong with loving who you are and what you enjoy. Hopefully the idea of feminism will continue to change, and more people will look at it as a worldview ideology instead of a stigmatized man-hating cult of women. A true feminist would be hard put to hate men, since the idea of hate falls nowhere in the ideals up held by feminists.

It has been hard for me on occasion to tell others that I am a feminist, because while reactions have ranged among the people I've told, few have been 100% positive. Most people automatically assume that I am a lesbian undercover, and they show pity for my husband. It is this stigma that is attached to feminism that must be expelled, and the only way that we can realize the dissipation of that stigma, is to involve ourselves in politics and show the world what true feminism is all about.

1 comment:

Arsenal310 said...

While I am not a feminist, I do believe that sense done the class I have been paying more attention to how sexism exist. I see it now on a daily basis, ranging from my friends to commercials. It is all over the map and I believe that feminism is not dead, nor should it ever or will ever die! Feminism will continue on as long as the topic is debated, until women are treated equally, and until sexism, racism, classism, discrimination, etc. is also dead.