I would like to start out by saying that I do not believe that capitalism is the devil. With that being said though, I would like to add that capitalism benefits astronomically from the un-paid labor and public goods that many women provide. I was not surprised to learn that there is an estimated $11 trillion worldwide in unpaid labor. What women provide in day care and elder care alone would devastate the economy if ceased. Housework and other domestic duties that fall on many women to complete also enable employers to pay lower wages, because the employee does not have to hire outside help to complete those duties.
Of course the biggest public good that women produce are children. Most mothers raise their child by providing it with nourishment, emotional support, and socialization. This produces a well adjusted citizen who is able to work in the economy, pay taxes, and add to social security. This is a priceless public good that seems to be de-valued in our society, and there is truly something wrong about that.
I do not think that capitalism is to blame for the oppression of women, although I don't believe that it has allowed for us to go out of our way to fix that oppression. Overall, the amount of free labor that women provide must be given greater respect and recognition. Additionally, the priceless public good that women provide by supplying children should be revered and honored.
No comments:
Post a Comment