As I have been recently learning about the women who cleared the path in the fight for women's rights, I have realized what an utter shame it is that these events are not expanded upon in many school systems. I will be a college senior in the fall, yet this is the first class I have taken that has elaborated in any detail on the Woman Suffrage Movement. And before college, I had never been taught about the origins of women's rights at all.
I think that it is important to incorporate learning about this piece of history in our school systems. Females and males alike would benefit from learning about the struggles so many women went through to achieve the rights freely felt today. It would also enable girls to feel pride about their sex, and promote them not to remain placid, but to continue the fight until true equality is realized.
Unfortunately, we still have a ways to go before we reach the ultimate goal of equal respect and power. Susan B. Anthony believed that equality would occur once women were allowed to vote and make laws. While there have been huge strides in the right direction, I think that she would have expected us to be further in our quest by now.
We need to relearn the origins of the feminist movement in order to dispel the many stereotypes that are attached to the idea of feminism. In order to achieve all the goals laid out by the pioneers of the women's movement, we must regain momentum in the pursuit of complete equality for woman.
No comments:
Post a Comment